Alev -

I'm so sorry you had this experience. Unfortunately many "no-kill" shelters are
really not totally no-kill - they do euthanize for FeLV & FIV, usually because
they have no place to house/foster the positive cats.

It is routine for shelters to make you sign all rights over to them. It usually
will say in that ppw that they euthanize for FeLV & FIV.
It is also normal for you to have to go through the same adoption process as
anyone else even if you were the one surrendering the animal.
It is crazy, though, that they would not call you & give you the chance to take
the cat back or permanently foster her. However, their reasoning might have
been that the cat had been outside & they were afraid you may re-release her
with a contagious virus.

I had this happen with an FIV+ cat when I 1st moved into my neighborhood. I
found the cat & he was injured. I already had 5 cats & could not take another,
so I took him to a local emergency vet that had an "injured stray" program.
They took in donations for injured strays & then adopted them out. When I
called back to find out how he was they said he tested positive for FIV & they
were going to euthanize him. I begged them to give me time to find someone to
take him - I had a friend with an FIV+ cat. Unfortunately she could not take
him. So I called the vet & said I would take him back. They then said NO - They
could not trust that I would not let him outside again & he was contagious. I
pleaded with them to wait for my vet's office to open the next day & have her
vouch for me (they knew my vet well). She did & I was able to pick him up. He
lived 10 healthy years with me.

BTW our shelter does NOT euthanize for FeLV or FIV. I foster FeLV cats for them
& we actually rent a house for the FIV cats to live in.
You can see the FIV cat's FB page here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Furkids-FIV-House/217196318335990?ref=ts&fref=ts

Beth