I do not trust shelters anymore so I keep my posiives.  My vet said if I
vaccinate the negatives, there should be no problem and so far, I have had
none.  they all live in the whole house, eat out of the other's bowl because it
must be better than mine.  I do my best to keep the stress level down and when
there is the least different behavior, off to the vet we go.

---- Beth wrote: > Alev - I'm so sorry you had this experience. Unfortunately
many "no-kill" shelters are really not totally no-kill - they do euthanize for
FeLV & FIV, usually because they have no place to house/foster the positive
cats. It is routine for shelters to make you sign all rights over to them. It
usually will say in that ppw that they euthanize for FeLV & FIV. It is also
normal for you to have to go through the same adoption process as anyone else
even if you were the one surrendering the animal. It is crazy, though, that
they would not call you & give you the chance to take the cat back or
permanently foster her. However, their reasoning might have been that the cat
had been outside & they were afraid you may re-release her with a contagious
virus. I had this happen with an FIV+ cat when I 1st moved into my
neighborhood. I found the cat & he was injured. I already had 5 cats & could
not take another, so I took him to a local emergency vet that had an "injured
stray" program. They took in donations for injured strays & then adopted them
out. When I called back to find out how he was they said he tested positive for
FIV & they were going to euthanize him. I begged them to give me time to find
someone to take him - I had a friend with an FIV+ cat. Unfortunately she could
not take him. So I called the vet & said I would take him back. They then said
NO - They could not trust that I would not let him outside again & he was
contagious. I pleaded with them to wait for my vet's office to open the next
day & have her vouch for me (they knew my vet well). She did & I was able to
pick him up. He lived 10 healthy years with me. BTW our shelter does NOT
euthanize for FeLV or FIV. I foster FeLV cats for them & we actually rent a
house for the FIV cats to live in. You can see the FIV cat's FB page here:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Furkids-FIV-House/217196318335990?ref=ts&fref=ts
Beth   Don't Litter, Fix Your Critter! www.Furkids.org
________________________________ From: Alev Durmus To:
"felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:15 AM Subject:
[Felvtalk] "No-kill" animal shelter killing FeLV+ cat Dear all, I feel for all
of you who lost your cat(s). I have lost one too many and I can't bring myself
to think losing another one. I would like to share something with you all and
ask your opinions and advice since I am not originally from the US and I don't
know how things go over here plus I might not be thinking straight because I am
very upset. This happened on Saturday and I have been crying since... I
came across to this cat-we named her River-less than 2 weeks ago cross the road
from my home in an unused shed. I usually don't look around but for some
reason, I looked towards the shed and there she was looking at me...She was not
moving a lot, sickly and skinny. I started feeding her, she ate a lot and
became more energetic in 2 days. She had started wandering around since she
wasn't starving anymore and I became afraid of coyotes killing her or cold
weather coming soon. I called the local no-kill shelter to ask what to do. They
told me to take pictures and uploaded on their facebook page in order to locate
her owners. She definitely had owners once and probably was dumped...She was a
very loving sweet cat. I suspected, being a house cat she didn't know what to
do to feed herself and that's why she was in that shape. After a while she was
so great, even if she was not in the shed, she would come running when I called
her. A few days later > shelter called and said they had an opening for her.
This was a good timing because of freeze warning coming to our way. I already
have another cat and I didn't want to bring her home without knowing that she
is healthy...We-me and the kids-were so happy to bring her to safety. They
asked me to sign a form saying that I gave all her rights to the shelter. I was
puzzled but knowing that it was a no-kill shelter I was not that concerned. I
put a note saying that I was not the owner and she probably had an owner...I
asked a lot of questions, when would we know about her health, how can we adopt
her, can I visit her etc.? I told them we were planning to adopt her but my
husband needed to be convinced...They told me the vet would be coming on
Thursday and the blood test would be back and she would be in pet finder after
a while. They said no to visitation and no to adopting her right from the
shelter...I said what if someone adopts her before we see the > ad, please call
me etc...And then we left. I didn't know that I brought her to her death by my
hands thinking I was doing the right thing... I called them Saturday and they
informed me that they "put her to sleep" on Friday because she had FeLV+...I
said why didn't you call? no answer...Between killing an animal and making a
phone call they picked killing her. After I read online that there are many
false positive on this test ( I don;t think anyone bothered to do the second
test) and even if she was positive she could be living a long life in a one-cat
household...I can't believe any animal lover would be that quick to kill one
without exploring other options or calling someone-me- who showed extreme
interest on saving this cat...Please anyone let me know if this is what they do
in the shelters? Is there anything we can do to change their policy? She even
gave me a line of " oh, you did such a good job taking care of her, she would
have died if not for you" No one ever mentioned me killing the cat-never...If
they did I wouldn't leave River there. Please drop me a few lines, I am still
crying and I think I owe this to River to at least question their actions...I
can't even look over the shed which is cross the road from my home-impossible
to avoid and couldn't even tell the kids what happened... Thank you for all