It's a very interesting article/study.  I think they are not advocating
that pets go unspayed but rather there be further study of spay where only
the uterus is removed.  But in addition to risks like mammary cancer, I
worry about spayed pets in heat and their hormonally driven efforts to
escape the house to mate.  How many pets are lost, injured and killed that
way?  How many pet owners will be upset by the pet's behaviors and possible
mess while the pet keeps cycling in heat?   It is a multi-faceted issue
that I hope gets more research.

Kg

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012, Kathryn Hargreaves <khargrea...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Perhaps this information will be useful to other folks on this list,
then, since Felv shortens lifespan in general.
> Dogs are more likely to get both mammary cancer and pyometra than are
cats, and ovary retention seems to override this, along with their heat
stresses.    However, cats are polyestrous (go into heat several times a
year) whereas dogs are diestrous (two heat cycles a year), so cats have
more heat stresses, which may or may not override the ovary-retention
effect.  Note that breeders use various methods of getting cats they don't
want pregnant out of heat, so perhaps one could sufficiently reduce the
stress to that of a dog's.
> I've heard of cats living to over 30, and since this study looks at the
outliers for what's possible, we might look at 30+ years as an upper bound
for cat longevity, at least non-Felv+ ones.

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 8:15 AM, Beth <create_me_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not going to start an argument over one study.
>> Being in heat was very stressful on the one of the 1st FeLV cats I had.
The spay was easy & she recovered quickly.
>> My cats have all been spayed. We've had cats live well into their 20's -
all spayed.
>> Cats who still have their ovaries, which are responsible for heat
cycles, are much more likely to develop mammary cancer.
>> Cats (& dogs) can also develop an infection in their uterus (pyometra)
from not being spayed..

>> There is just not enough evidence out there to make me even think about
not getting my cats, FeLV or not,  spayed.

>> Don't Litter, Fix Your Critter! www.Furkids.org
>>
>> ________________________________

third longer?    There's more to the overall story than just local
stresses: http://www.gpmcf.org/respectovaries.html   American vet schools
do not teach any sterilizations other than spay/neuter.

>> On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Beth <create_me_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> My vet said being in heat is more stressful than the surgery. I would
wait for the retest, though. If still positive have a full bloodwork panel
done to make sure she is healthy, just as you would for a senior kitty.
>> Hope all goes well.
>>
>> Beth
>>
>> Maryam Ulomi <ava...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello everyone,
>> >
>> >We are looking at possibly spaying Kitty, our 5 months old FeLV rescued
feral baby. She is currently on the lysine and living large in her own
room, isolated from our other two cats, since she posted positive but we
are retesting her at 6months, which should be in December.
>> >Should we retest first and then spay?
>> >Is there anything we should know/do to prepare ?
>> >
>> >Any suggestions are welcome
>> >
>> >Sent from my iPhone
>>

>> --
>> Go Get a Life---Go Get a Shelter Animal!
>> If you can't adopt, then foster "bottle baby" shelter animal, to save
their life.  Contact your local pound for information.

implementing the No Kill Equation: http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/

http://www.no-killnews.com/ (see the right sidebar)

http://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/shelter-reform/guides/

http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=537