From: Lee Evans <moonsiste...@yahoo.com>
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Tue, November 20, 2012 8:57:09 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Spaying advice

Amen to that sister.  My cat Cookie, long ago, was borderline diabetic.  The
vet
didn't want to subject her to anesthesia because he said she was an older cat
and might develop full blown diabetes since she was on the edge. So I didn't
have her spayed.  She went into her heat cycle several more times, then gave it
up as a bad idea.  She lived an additional 5 years with me as a house feral.
One
day I noticed blood on her chair towel (I use towels to cover the plastic
chairs
in my house.  Everything here has to be washable).  I also noticed that Cookie
was acting very lethargic.  I finally got her into a carrier.  At the clinic
they flipped her over and I was horrified.  All her nipples were black, some
were enlarged, two were bleeding.  She had severe mammary cancer.  The vet said
she  was probably in pain.  There was nothing I could do.  He gave her a pain
injection.  She became drowsy and I allowed him to euthanize her.  I will NEVER
NOT SPAY a cat.  Male cats can get prostate cancer.  There is no proven reason
why cats and dogs can't be spayed and neutered.  Humans have the operation all
the time for ovarian cancer and prostate cancer.  If physicians didn't do
hysterectomies on women with cancer or with precancerous lesions the cancers
would metastasize and more people would die.

In addition, try and get an intact spraying male cat or howling female cat
adopted.  It will just not work.

Or, as an alternative, get the female's tubes tied and give the male a
vasectomy
and you still have all the mating behavior in addition to the operations
costing
almost a thousand dollars as opposed to spay/neuter that can be had for a cost
as low as $15 including rabies shot.

I  want to add that my mother, a registered nurse at the time, forbade me to
have any of our yard cats neutered or spayed citing the ridiculous argument
that
animals and people have to be left natural.  Consequently I allowed two intact
cats to remain that way, filling my yard with 7 kittens who, although I didn't
know it, were FeLv positive and active for the disease.  They all died.  Had I
spayed and neutered mom and dad cat, I would have saved 7 kittens from being
born and dying in illness and discomfort and possibly saved mom and dad cats
from wandering away to spread the disease all over the neighborhood.

too!