I was hissed at in the face by one of my cats. No, she wasn't angry at me. We
were sitting on my futon sofa and another cat was sitting on the back of it,
tried to snuggle up to my face and Cloud Nine hissed at him, right into my
face. I can tell you from experience that hissing does not contain saliva. I
have read that also on a few cat health sites. Now, it does contain cat breath
(gasp, Cloud Nine has just eaten some fishy dry food, ugh!) but I don't think
that a cat inhaling the breath of a FeLv+ cat is in any danger. Now,
interestingly enough, a cat can lob a spit ball. One discontented kitty did
that to me some time ago. Splat! Definitely saliva but it was not done with a
hiss, it was done with a sort of angry buzzing sound.

too!