thanks for the info beth i am in the process of getting my cats vaccinated they
are 3,5,6yrs old i have read that the older ones might have built up immunity
from the viruses thanks for responding

________________________________
 From: Beth <create_me_...@yahoo.com>
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org" <felvtalk@felineleukemia.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2013 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] felv+ cat living with 3 negative cats

Hi Mike -

Thanks for taking this guy in. Mixing cats is a pretty frequent question. You
may want to search the archives for "mixing".
1st I would recommend having your FeLV cat retested in 6 months. Sometimes
there are false positives, & sometimes(though rarely) they can throw the virus
off. You could also get the cat tested on an IFA, which is a blood test which
is sent out to a lab. If determines if the virus is circulating in the bone
marrow. If the IFA is positive, there is no need to retest. Cats with a
positive IFA will not throw the virus off. Your vet should be able to explain
the protocol to you.

I mix my FeLV & non-FeLV cats freely. They all eat & drink from the same bowls.
 I have been doing this for over 10 years, & none of my non-FeLV cats have ever
turned positive. I have even
 had FIV+ cats living with the FeLV+ cats, & they have never caught the virus
(I do re-test my non FeLV's, so I know this to be true)
You do need to keep him separate from your other cats until your cats are fully
vaccinated ( 1st vaccine, booster vaccine, & wait at least 10 days after last
vaccine) before mixing.
2 of my previous vets recommended vaccinating my non-FeLV cats every 6 months,
instead of every year. Currently I just vaccinate yearly.
Right now I have 5 FeLV+ cats, 1 FIV+ cat, & one who is just a normal, healthy,
13 year old who is not positive for anything.

Beth