Hi everyone, I'm new to this group. My husband and I recently adopted a male
cat; we named him Abelardo. We noticed he wasn't in very good shape, and that
he was desperately looking for a home, so we rescued him. He's FeLV positive
and also has anemia. He has low counts for red blood cells, hematocrit,
hemoglobin and leukocytes. The test to determine if he was FeLV positive
was an antigen test (Elisa). No one performs IFA's tests in Ecuador, my country
of residence. The vet said that giving he’s a young cat and that he has
been fighting with a urinary tract infection and showing progress, it’s
possible that he will become a carrier and will be able to lead a normal life.
My research on the internet indicates that after diagnosis, cats usually
live for 3 or 4 more years. I asked the doctor about the chance of this being a
false positive, but he said that with the antigen test the margin of error is
very small.  I’ve read about cats that
fight the virus and are able to eliminate it from their organisms, later
testing negative for FeLV. I don’t want to have false expectations, but I want
to hang on to whatever hope there’s still out there for him.

We've started him on a
biostimulant therapy treatment that will last for 2 weeks with Yatren Caseína
(an
immune stimulant manufactured by Bayer, don’t know if it’s sold in the USA),
which consists of Casein and Yatreinic Acid. This is supposed to help him
increase his white blood cells. We are
hoping this will boost his immune system. He has also been taking Isoprinosine
and
B complex with iron syrup for almost 2 weeks. I
don’t know if my cat is receiving the best treatment or what should I do to
increase the odds of him not having to suffer because of this terrible illness.
I’m willing to buy medicine from another country if needed.

The vet advised to test my other
cat after 30 days to see how he's doing -I have a 9 year old cat who's in
perfect health-. I'm concerned now as he shared the litter box and bowls with
the FeLV positive cat for almost 48 hours, I didn't even think about this as a
risk, and now I feel terribly guilty for placing my beloved pet in danger. If
he isn't infected, then I
should look into applying him the FeLV vaccine, which is not sold in Ecuador
yet. I have to see if there are
ways to purchase the vaccine in the US and have it sent to Ecuador through a
merchant.

I want to keep the FeLV positive cat
with me, as chances are no one will want him or will take care of him the way
he needs to. We have grown so fond of him, he’s such an adorable, loving cat. I
thought about dividing my apartment so the sick cat will not have to
remain confined in just one room. I can have the cats’ alternate spaces every
week, after disinfecting everything properly with Clorox and not letting them
share the same litter boxes or bowls. Do you think this will be a good idea?

I'm desperate and I need all the information I can get, as you are all going
through the same ordeal, sometimes with moments of happiness when we see even a
little sign of improvement. It's comforting to be able to read about your
experiences. Abelardo has his ups and downs, days when he only wants to sleep
and not be bothered, and others when he's happy and more active. He has kept a
good appetite overall, that gives me hope.
Thanks for all your help, support and advice. I'm glad to be here.
Michéle