From: Margo
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 11:09 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: [Felvtalk] Vaccines

  .      Good morning,

  >             Do the ones who go outside have possible contact with other
cats? If they were vaccinated against panleukopenia after 20 weeks of age, and
had at least one booster after a year, I would probably forego future vaccines,
except for the one manated by law in most places (rabies). You could even ask
your Vet for a rabies waiver for the older cats. Some will, some won't, and in
some places it's not legal, but it's worth asking :)

  I would avoid vaccinating the + cat.

  >HTH,
  >
  >Margo

  p.s.

  Sorry, somehow I missed the part about little contact with strays, so I'd be
comfortable with discontinuing vaccines for the oldest cats if they had a
series  previously. The risk for your others would be mostly for the URIs (RC+C
of the FVRCCP), which aren't usually fatal, and I think require cat-cat contact
to transmit. Depending on when they were last vaccinated, I would probably do
one more with panleuk, as that can remain active in the soil for years. The
panluek vaccine is very effective (and I believe for life), but I haven't seen
any actual documentation of more than 7 years trials.

  >HTH
  >
  >>^..^<

out, she is terrified of outside and the other goes down on the ground to potty
and then back to the deck for a snooze in the sun.  Another 8 year old goes out
very little and another tht stays on the deck.  Do they need vaccinations?
FELV they need as I have 1 positive cat, but do they need the others as their
chances of contracting anything from strays, etc are very slim>
  .