Hi all,

I'm a new member of this group hoping to better understand FeLv and the 
situation that I'm in.  Last month, I decided to foster kittens for my local 
humane society as a summer project with my 2 girls (age 7 and 10 years).  We 
were given a momma cat and her 3 kittens who were about 4-5 weeks old, found as 
strays. All were initially tested for FeLv and came back negative (I don't know 
which test HS used.)  After helping momma wean her kittens, I returned her to 
the shelter this past weekend.  Yesterday she was retested for FeLV before her 
spay surgery and was positive. (HS checked both her blood and serum.)  Today, I 
took the kittens back to HS for testing and they are negative for FeLV.  I 
agreed to continue fostering them for 30 days and then they will be retested.

How much hope do these kittens have? Is there any chance that they will 
continue to be negative for FeLV? I'm so stressed about all this.  My kids are 
heart-broken.  I feel like everything is going all wrong.  First, they all got 
URI and one kitten got a persistent eye infection that took three different 
antibiotics until it finally cleared up.  But her eye is all clouded over and 
she is probably blind in that eye.  And now this FeLV scare.  I don't know if I 
can handle fostering.

Deborah Adams
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to