The 2008 retrovirus document can be downloaded here:

http://catvets.com/professionals/guidelines/publications/?Id=323

As for breaking the tie, your vet could run a confirmatory ELISA using a
different kit and plasma or serum rather than whole blood. But really, if 45
days is what they want, that works.

The FeLV testing protocol suggested on felineleukemia.org is:

For healthy cats:

http://www.felineleukemia.org/felvhlth.html

For sick cats:

http://www.felineleukemia.org/felvsick.html