From: KG BarnCats
Sent: Aug 10, 2013 3:08 PM
To: "felvtalk@felineleukemia.org"
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Felvtalk Digest, Vol 25, Issue 6

I am sorry to say wet FIP is another possible cause of fluid in the chest.  There is no definitive test but there are suggestive bloodwork results, also if fluid can be tapped off, it can be examined.  FIP fluid is typically yellowish and sticky.  A Rivalta test can also be done on the fluid.  there is no cure or effective treatment for wet FIP, although the slower moving dry FIP form has been successfully treated with polyprenyl immunostimulant (PI).  Neither form is contagious, as FIP is believed to arise independently when a cat infected with the common and otherwise mild coronavirus has the virus mutate for unknown reasons.  FELV+ cats are apparently more susceptible to the mutations and thus FIP.

I lost my 7 month old FELV+ Smokey to abdominal wet FIP in a matter of days, just as he was beating a bad URI with help of interferon omega and PI.  The swelling made him very uncomfortable so we let him go.

Laurie