If I understood the AAFP retrovirus guidelines paper, PCR tests are the only
test that will show regressive infection. Theoretically, regressive infections
rarely if ever surface. In other words, a true negative on ELISA/IFA should not
"go positive" later on down the line.

Testing, like vaccination, is not ironclad guaranteed in results, but it's
still useful for bringing in new cats and adopting them out. It's a shame that
IFA and PCR testing is so expensive. Probably not too bad for an owner of one
cat, but for rescuers…

Hopefully we'll have better diagnostics someday, but most everything with FeLV
feels stuck in the status quo of 2005.

Lance