She came to me two and a half years ago when she was around 9 months old. She 
had been abandoned at an apartment complex, rescued but then tested FeLv+. She 
was brought to me to see if she would turn negative. She did! I kept her anyway 
because she had a few bad habits, like biting my fingers when I was sleeping 
and trying to tear apart my iPod headphones. She was very mischievous. I named 
her Bunny because she was brought to me on Easter Sunday.  She has lived with 
me and two other cats in my bedroom/home office since that Easter in 2011. 
About two weeks ago I noticed a change in her behavior. She no longer pestered 
Delilah, the resident female cat in the room and she seemed to lose interest in 
sleeping on the bed with me and Samson and Delilah (the two other cats in the 
room). However she was eating normally and nothing else seemed out of place. I 
assumed that it was the change in the weather from very hot to nice, cool 
evenings and then to rain. On
 Saturday of last week she seemed lethargic. She was not eating her usual 
amount of food and not drinking her usual amount of water. I checked her gums 
to see if it might be stomatitis or some bad tooth upsetting her but her gums 
were very pale and so was her tongue. I immediately thought it was flea anemia. 
I took her to the vet on Tuesday because Monday is usually very busy with dogs 
there. She was more lethargic and depressed by then and her appetite had all 
but disappeared. She was still drinking water. She had no fleas so I asked the 
vet to re-test her for FeLv. Sure enough, she was positive. She had all the 
classic symptoms of active FeLv. I was heart broken but still, I asked him to 
give her some meds to make her more comfortable and perhaps get back her 
appetite. He gave her cortisone. Today, she was no better. She just lay on her 
towel and couldn't make it to the litter box although it was just a few steps 
away. I took her in again and he gave
 her some fluids, not too much because he said it would make her even more 
anemic. He gave her a little more cortisone to try to kick start her appetite. 
I had been syringe feeding her by then. He also gave her a small dose of 
Convenia and some B-complex but nothing helped. She passed several hours after 
the vet visit. I probably should have had him help her pass but I just didn't 
want to give up hope. 

There is a question here, in all this upsetting dialog. My other two cats who 
slept with me and Bunny and groomed each other, ate with each other, drank and 
used the same litter box are around 7 years old. The vet told me that once they 
are into adulthood, they are not as likely to get FeLv as they would if they 
were under 2 years old. Is this true? I will have them tested in about 3 weeks 
anyway to see what happened, if anything. Also, has anyone had the experience 
of a young cat throwing off the virus and turning negative, then turning 
positive again after a year, or was that second test after I had held her in 
isolation for 4 months a false negative?

Right now I'm fostering a kitten who has tested negative for FIV/FeLv. She is 
several rooms away from where Bunny has lived. They never came in contact with 
each other but I have walked from my bedroom into the kitten's room to feed, 
clean, etc.. Did I put her at risk?

This is desperately upsetting. I have decided not to take in any more fosters 
with FeLv. I have never had this happen before. Most of my "turned" cats are 
still with me and are well into several years of adulthood. I usually don't 
have good results with getting turned cats adopted because most people don't 
want the possibility that the cat is harboring the disease. Maybe Bunny had it 
in her bone marrow and tested negative on the regular SNAP test. I should have 
tested with the IFA also but don't have much money to spare. 
Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to