She came to me two and a half years ago when she was around 9 months old. She
had been abandoned at an apartment complex, rescued but then tested FeLv+. She
was brought to me to see if she would turn negative. She did! I kept her anyway
because she had a few bad habits, like biting my fingers when I was sleeping
and trying to tear apart my iPod headphones. She was very mischievous. I named
her Bunny because she was brought to me on Easter Sunday.  She has lived with
me and two other cats in my bedroom/home office since that Easter in 2011.
About two weeks ago I noticed a change in her behavior. She no longer pestered
Delilah, the resident female cat in the room and she seemed to lose interest in
sleeping on the bed with me and Samson and Delilah (the two other cats in the
room). However she was eating normally and nothing else seemed out of place. I
assumed that it was the change in the weather from very hot to nice, cool
evenings and then to rain. On
 Saturday of last week she seemed lethargic. She was not eating her usual
amount of food and not drinking her usual amount of water. I checked her gums
to see if it might be stomatitis or some bad tooth upsetting her but her gums
were very pale and so was her tongue. I immediately thought it was flea anemia.
I took her to the vet on Tuesday because Monday is usually very busy with dogs
there. She was more lethargic and depressed by then and her appetite had all
but disappeared. She was still drinking water. She had no fleas so I asked the
vet to re-test her for FeLv. Sure enough, she was positive. She had all the
classic symptoms of active FeLv. I was heart broken but still, I asked him to
give her some meds to make her more comfortable and perhaps get back her
appetite. He gave her cortisone. Today, she was no better. She just lay on her
towel and couldn't make it to the litter box although it was just a few steps
away. I took her in again and he gave
 her some fluids, not too much because he said it would make her even more
anemic. He gave her a little more cortisone to try to kick start her appetite.
I had been syringe feeding her by then. He also gave her a small dose of
Convenia and some B-complex but nothing helped. She passed several hours after
the vet visit. I probably should have had him help her pass but I just didn't
want to give up hope.

There is a question here, in all this upsetting dialog. My other two cats who
slept with me and Bunny and groomed each other, ate with each other, drank and
used the same litter box are around 7 years old. The vet told me that once they
are into adulthood, they are not as likely to get FeLv as they would if they
were under 2 years old. Is this true? I will have them tested in about 3 weeks
anyway to see what happened, if anything. Also, has anyone had the experience
of a young cat throwing off the virus and turning negative, then turning
positive again after a year, or was that second test after I had held her in
isolation for 4 months a false negative?

Right now I'm fostering a kitten who has tested negative for FIV/FeLv. She is
several rooms away from where Bunny has lived. They never came in contact with
each other but I have walked from my bedroom into the kitten's room to feed,
clean, etc.. Did I put her at risk?

This is desperately upsetting. I have decided not to take in any more fosters
with FeLv. I have never had this happen before. Most of my "turned" cats are
still with me and are well into several years of adulthood. I usually don't
have good results with getting turned cats adopted because most people don't
want the possibility that the cat is harboring the disease. Maybe Bunny had it
in her bone marrow and tested negative on the regular SNAP test. I should have
tested with the IFA also but don't have much money to spare.