Tina: Two completely dust-free litters I can recommend are "World's
Best" from corn, and "Naturally Fresh" from walnut shells.  Re the
coughing: are you by any chance watering down his wet food for
hydration?  My cat coughed when I was doing that -- it turned out he
was inhaling it and that was the cause.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM,  <felvtalk-requ...@felineleukemia.org> wrote:

> From: Tina Smith <mit...@gmail.com>
> To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 09:56:46 -0500
> Subject: [Felvtalk] Best litter for FeLV?
> Hi all,
>
> I have an FeLV+ kitty.  He has been mostly healthy but is currently going
> through something that is causing a lot of coughing.  We have noticed that he
> seems sensitive to the drier air of winter and perhaps has some environmental
> allergies.  In addition to other things we are doing I am trying to find a
> dust-free cat litter for him.  Last night I spent a small fortune on
> SWheatScoop litter and was appalled to see all of the dust that went flying
> when we put it in his litter pan.  So much for dust-free.  Has anyone here
> had luck finding a litter that is good to use for our FeLV+ sweeties?
>
> I'll also tell you a little more about what he's going through in case
> anybody has some insight into what might be causing it.  The vet wasn't
> helpful.  Just gave him a Convenia antibiotic injection but couldn't say what
> the problem might be except possibly pleural effusion.  Darwin is coughing a
> lot - a little like the "hairball cough" but not exactly.  He seems to be
> breathing mostly okay through his nose, although I have noticed occasionally
> that there does seem to be a little congestion.  There has been no open-mouth
> breathing.  He had a bout of diarrhea for a couple of days this past week but
> seemed to get over that.  Now I think he might actually be constipated.  When
> he coughs nothing comes out but he does swallow as if he has coughed a little
> something up and then swallows it. I have almost wondered if he might have an
> obstruction but it does seem to be affecting his breathing some.  I haven't
> been able to pinpoint any triggers.  He has coughed after drinking water, he
> has
 coughed when the heat was on, he has coughed right after using the litter box.
 But he has also coughed when he's just resting on the bed and nothing is going
on.