I have 2-3 methods I use
1) I started out giving a depomedrol injection periodically (once every 4-6
weeks or as needed).  Seems like it's 1/2 cc depo.

2) Then someone suggested oral dexamethasone - so I give about 1/2 cc Dex
orally, and it lasts a few days.  Sometimes though they're quite resistant to
having something squirted in the mouth.

3) the most recent option Ive tried is Zyrtec.  I buy Zyrtec at the grocery
store or pharmacy.  Also got a pill cutter and cut the Zyrtec in half.  I put
the half zyrtec in wet food once a day.  You may need to crush it at first.

I've started doing the last two together in some cases.  Have found the Zyrtec
very helpful for some runny noses too.

But to start out, with a difficult cat, I do Depo for about a month and see how
that works and if I can switch to Dex.

If you google these options you can find out more, of course.

Gloria