Hi Kelley,

      Sorry Merlin isn't feeling well. I would not use Convenia. It is likely that what Merlin has is viral, which Convenia won't touch. I have no problem with giving an antibiotic to combat a secondary infection but I don't think you're there yet. And I am still very leery of long-lasting drugs like Convenia. It's still pretty new. Once its given, you can't discontinue it, and since it stays in the system for an extended time, I worry.

        From this article ;http://www.vetdepot.com/overview-convenia-dogs-cats.html

                      "Since the drug remains in the tissues at subtherapeutic levels for approximately 65 days after injection, there is the possibility that bacteria can develop resistance to this medication."

       This is of course a matter between you and your Vet. I would suggest discussing famciclovir as an alternative, and at the very least, start Lysine (500mgs per day)

        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19154974

        Wishing you both the best

Margo

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelley S
Sent: Dec 20, 2014 2:30 AM
To: felvtalk
Subject: [Felvtalk] Merlin to vet

Hi folks,

I'm taking Merlin to the vet Monday. He seems congested and sneezing. No
nasal or ocular discharge but he's dropped weight. He is eating, I just
fed him canned. Drinking too.

Now, my regular vet is a really really nice guy, but he has little
experience with FELV by his own admission. I think most people around here
euth for FELV. I'm trying to establish a relationship with a holistic vet
but he needs to be seen sooner than that will happen.

I'm thinking this vet will give him a convenia injection. Does that seem
reasonable and does it work for your kitties?

Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks all,

Kelley and Merlin