He hasn't always had the wheezing. He tested negative for FeLV before I
started fostering kittens several years ago. I fostered one kitten who was
light positive and eventually turned negative. They were separated at
first, and only interacted after the kitten turned negative. When Krammer
tested positive, I had been fostering a litter and their mama. Mama had
tested negative, so everyone was interacting. I got the mama and her litter
when they were 2 weeks old. The kittens were about 3.5 months old when
Krammer became ill. I tested him and he came back positive. The kittens
were all positive too, and have since died. Mama cat got retested (neg),
adopted out and is doing fine.
So either they got it from their dad, and passed it on to Krammer, or he
had a latent infection that just showed up while I had them, and he gave it
to them. It's hard to know. We retested most of the kittens I had fostered
before the positive litter (they had been adopted out, so we contacted the
adopters and offered retesting for free) -- None of them came back
positive.