Sorry - forget the name Clavamox for the antibiotic I meant to suggest below.

Amani

From: Felvtalk [mailto:felvtalk-boun...@felineleukemia.org] On Behalf Of Amani
Oakley
Sent: December-21-16 2:15 AM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: [Felvtalk] Bogey's Blood Test Today These look worse PG 2

Hi Sherri

Yes, I agree with you that the biochemistry liver enzymes look worse. The rest
of the biochemistry tests look fine, but the ALT and AST have gone up, and they
didn't repeat either the Total Bilirubin or the GGT, which are the other
results that assist in assessing the liver.

However, Bogey is doing better by your description, so be patient and continue
with what you are doing. I still think that you could hold off for another
little while on the Winstrol and Doxycyline and that is supported by the liver
enzyme test results. However, there has been a noticeable drop in the
haematocrit. You're still within the reference range, but this is the same
thing I had witnessed with my cat, and how I affirmed for myself that it was
the Winstrol/Doxycyline which was causing the increase in the red cell
parameters, because every time I tried to reduce the dosage or stop the
medication, I would see an immediate drop in the numbers. It seems pretty clear
that (a) the increase you saw at the end of October was because you added the
Doxycycline to the Winstrol treatment regime. You got a dramatic jump in the
numbers. Now, when you stopped the Doxycycline/Winstrol, you see a definitive
drop in haematocrit levels. However, as I said, you still have a significant
cushion before the numbers get concerning again.

I agree with your vet that your cat has some sort of bacterial infection. The
significant number in white cells is quite marked, and when you see the
breakdown, that increase in white cells is almost completely composed of
neutrophils, which is the type of cell which increases in the presence of
bacteria, versus lymphocytes which increase with a viral challenge. Your vet
should consider adding another antibiotic, in addition to the Doxycyline.
Something broad spectrum, perhaps, like _____.

I also not the excellent news that the platelet count has actually doubled.
This is really, really wonderful, and quite dramatic.

The basophils are elevated which can happen with liver problems or may reflect
an immune/allergic type response (along with mast cells).

Overall, she is still looking pretty good, but I agree with your concern about
wanting to wait a bit more on putting her back on the Winstrol/Doxycycline. On
the other hand, your vet might be concerned about the slippage, and may not
want to lose ground.

Amani