Jen

If that were my cat, I would consider putting him on a 4 to 6 week course of
the Doxycycline. Before my cat, Zander, had his BIG crash when his haematocrit
went down to 5, he had a mini crash about 2-3 months before. We were (stupidly)
reassured by the fact that he recovered with the use of the Doxycycline. In
hindsight, I have said many times to my husband, that I should have kept Zander
on the Doxycycline. It has anti-RNA replication properties which might be the
reason it sometimes seems to be effective in cases involving FeLV – ie – it
interferes with the ability of the virus to replicate.

I saw a programme last night on the fight against the Ebola virus, and I was
struck by something that one of the doctors said. This particular doctor was
himself infected by Ebola as he attempted to treat others who had the
infection. He spent 40 days in isolation, with one body system after another
shutting down and requiring medical intervention to keep him alive. After 40
days, he began to recover and became symptom free. He was of the view that the
body can ultimately be able to mount an immunological attack on just about
every challenge, if it can survive long enough to do so. It got me thinking
about FeLV and I wondered if perhaps Zander’s protocol helps the body to stay
alive (not succumb to things like anemia, and internal bleeding from low
platelets, etc), long enough to permit the cat’s own immune response to the
virus. I have no idea of course, and it is all conjecture on my part, but I
think that the Doxy plays a role in slowing down viral replication. Thus, if a
cat tests positive for FeLV, putting him on Doxy for a 4-6 week period, then
that might give the cat the opportunity to mount an immune response. And again,
please recognize that the time frame is just me thinking this sounds good
because it needs to be a longer duration than the average bacterial infection –
it may need to be even longer than that.

Amani