Good Evening to all who just responded to Robert's "Anyone still there" email. 
This is my first post and I stumbled upon this site in my frantic effort to get 
info on FelV. Our tuxedo, Zorro, was with us barely a year when FelV took him 
in less than two weeks. I first saw him among the weeds and shrubs of my lower 
garden as he darted about, perhaps pursuing a field mouse. Over the next few 
weeks  I steadily coaxed him closer to the house with food, water and my 
appearances. Eventually he was on the back porch daily meowing for breakfast 
and our Teddy Bear dog, Oliver, watched Zorro eat from the other side of the 
screen door. By late September Zorro was eating in the house, finding the 
litter box and purring so loudly he could be heard from ten feet away. 

Zorro was neutered, vaccinated and checked over and quickly became the kindest, 
most lovable cat I've ever had and at 70 I've had a few! We all spent a 
wonderful year plus together and Oliver became so accepting of Zorro that he 
allowed himself to be groomed my him. All this came crashing down six weeks 
ago. Zorro slept more, did not jump into bed with me and though he ate, he ate 
in little spurts. We took him in, tried some antibiotics first since he had a 
fever but nothing changed. Then the blood tests; then the devastating news: 
FeLV. The Vet suggested we consider putting Zorro down since it was incurable. 
I said Zorro will decide that action. For the next ten days we bought time with 
Zorro using a coticosteroid via pills. But the inevitable came suddenly three 
Monday evenings back. Zorro was slowly walking and then just laid down. His 
breathing became labored and I lay down next to him whispering in his ears and 
stroking his side. I told him to go, he'd done it on his terms and w
 ithing five minutes he was still. 

We've buried him with his bed and special blanket to cover him and keep the 
soil off. He's now beneath a tree near where I first saw him.

Ken Resch

Felvtalk mailing list

Reply via email to