As this group is FeLVtalk, I assumed that cats discussed here are FeLV-positive
unless the writer says otherwise.

Yes, I would indeed hesitate to put a FeLV cat through I-131 therapy. We’ve
seen many of our rescues go temporarily hypothyroid (ie, underactive thyroid)
for 2 or more months as the treatment, after it is administered, gradually
kills the overactive thyroid nodules and the healthy thyroid tissue has to wake
back up. This happening is known to veterinarians administering I-131 and is
one reason they recommend waiting to test the thyroid until 60 days after
treatment.

Sometimes, though, the cat’s thyroid becomes oversuppressed because too much
tissue was destroyed, and the cat needs supplementation with thyroid hormone.
In two of our cases, permanent supplementation became necessary.

This is meaningful to FeLV (and FIV) cats because when the thyroid gland is
working too slowly, the immune system can also slow down. This has been seen in
humans and in dogs, so I suspect cats would be affected as well.  So, for my
own FIV cat and for my cousin’s FeLV kitty who we baby-sit, I wouldn’t use
I-131 therapy without thinking hard about it, especially if the cat is doing
well on methimazole.

Hope this helps,

- Lorraine

"Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no
one can imagine."  - Alan Turing