Hi Dianne

I recommend starting her on Winstrol, Doxycycline and Prednisone.

Winstrol (Stanozolol) is an anabolic steroid which is amazing in both its
ability to stimulate red cell production from the bone marrow, as well as an
excellent appetite stimulant. Cerenia is not a particularly effective
antibiotic in the circumstances, though the fact that it can be used as a “slow
release” antibiotic is a very good feature. My hypothesis is that Doxycycline
actually works to affect the FeLV virus by preventing its cell wall production
and/or stymies viral reproduction. The Prednisone or Prednisolone acts as an
anti-inflammatory and possible liver protection.

Be forewarned that the Winstrol will likely significantly increase liver
enzymes and will very much alarm the vet. My experience is that the liver
enzyme spikes are temporary and will revert back to normal once the Winstrol is
discontinued.

The dosages I recommend are:

  *   1 mg x2 per day of Winstrol (However, I have learned that cats have a
remarkably high tolerance for Winstrol, so you could “jump start” the process
by giving 2 mg x2 per day for the first week and then dropping it down to 1 mg
x2 per day.

  *   50 mg x2 of Doxycycline, per day

  *   5 mg x1 prednisone/prednisolone per day

Run the bloodwork frequently – one a week if possible at the outset, and see if
the results help to guide the dosage of Winstrol. Right now, you indicate your
cat’s haematocrit is 20 which is low but not anywhere near critical yet. My
cat’s haematocrit went down to 5. After several attempts at blood transfusions,
it went only as high as 16. When it dropped back to 10, I started him on
Winstrol/Doxycycline/Prednisolone, out of sheer desperation (nothing else
worked), and got an immediate and wonderful response – the haematocrit began to
climb within days of the first doses of Winstrol.

I had my cat, Zander, on this regime for a year, though at some point during
the course of the year, I dropped the Winstrol down to 1 mg per day. Again,
this was entirely dependent on his bloodwork. For the longest time, every time
I tried to wean down the dose of Winstrol, his haematocrit would immediately
drop as well. It probably took more than 4-6 months before his haematocrit
would stay steady when I reduced the dose of Winstrol, and more than a year
before I could wean him off it completely. However, Zander’s situation in terms
of his haematocrit, was more dire than the blood work you have reported, so you
may not need that long.

By the way, the Winstrol actually seemed to “turn back on” the bone marrow
after it seems to have been destroyed by the virus. Zander’s reticulocyte count
was ZERO for more than a year, while we struggled to find something that
worked: blood transfusions, interferon, LTCI injections, etc. After I started
him on the Winstrol, within a few weeks, I was started to get readings on the
reticulocyte counts. Reticulocyte count is a measurement of how many immature
red cells are being produced by bone marrow. Clearly, for more than a year,
Zander was basically producing next to nothing in red cells, and was kept alive
by the blood transfusions we were giving him.

Winstrol can be difficult to get ahold of. Generally, it needs to be specially
compounded by a compounding pharmacy. I used small white pills. Others on this
email group have reported that they have obtained it in liquid form.

Good luck and hopefully your vet will assist.

Amani