I was fortunate in that the Saturday I before Ninja went to the Bridge, I'd taken her in because she'd had a very bad Friday night.  The vet who was there and helped me gave me her home phone number because at this point we knew Ninja had lymphoma and that it was just a matter of time and it was also a holiday weekend and the clinic was closed on Monday.  I would have felt better about helping Ninja the next Tuesday as she was already mostly gone - "she" was not there anymore - I suspect she was in a great deal of pain:( --- but the vet was at home with her infant and her husband didn't get home until about 11p, so it was to be Wednesday afternoon when she was able to come to my apartment and help Ninja.  If I'm given the choice in future, a quiet at-home passing is the way I'll choose to help my babies.

Jill Poe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I wish someone who loves me
> enough, could do the same
> for me when the time comes.

Nina, I have to reply to this, as this is exactly the
same thought that went through my mind after Semuta
passed. It became shockingly apparent to me that
illness before death can be very ugly, brutal, and
painful (Semuta "crashed" 3 days before his last day -
it was a frightening experience). After seeing how
phenobarbital can so easily and seemingly painlessly
rescue an animal from the physical pain of death, I
kept thinking for weeks about how unfair it is that we
have to see our human loved ones suffer in the same
way without the same relief.

I certainly don't mean to open a philosophical or
moral thread with this, just that I would never want
to see an animal or human suffer unnecessarily and
that I was grateful to ! have had the option, and the
very sympathetic and kind vet that night, to give my
beloved friend a painless death.

I wonder if any of you have administered phenobarbital
at home (if that is even legal?) I was fortunate to
have an emergency clinic with greiving rooms so that I
could sit on a carpeted floor and hold Semuta while he
was injected, instead of being in a brightly lit room
with a metal table. I didn't have the option at 2am
to have a vet come to the house (I was sure he would
crash again before morning) but I wondered at the time
if there is a way that we can do this at home,
especially when you and your vet know that death is
imminent?

I hope this email doesn't seem overly morbid but I
think the next time I have an animal showing signs of
severe illness and the vet agrees, I'd like not to
have to stress him more by taking him to a clinic to
have him euthanized. Plus there's that whole
difficulty of trying to! drive while crying!

Jill