<<<So let me get this rightâbottom line is that current tests, ELISA/IFA,
performed on kittens, for example, do not always identify a cat as having
FELV virus (if infection is in latent stage). Would this explain cats who
tested neg as kittens but show up years later as pos (I have one such cat
who had never been outdoors or exposed to pos cats). My other cats, who
have been with her for years, have tested neg for 2 years, but am I right in
assuming that they could have latent infection? (Just a note though, it
would not change anything that I do nor affect my decision to keep them
together-though I have vaccinated my negs.) >>>

Cats could be positive years later because they had a latent infection that
did not eventually clear, or because their original testing was done before
they seroconverted.

Remember that normal adult cats do not easily get FeLV. They are naturally
quite resistant. Most cats are infected at under 1 year of age, probably at
under 6 months of age.

Dr. Susan
Chapter Author, A Home Veterinary Guide, in:
The CFA Complete Cat Book
http://www.cfainc.org/catalog/books.html#completecatbook
Feline Reproduction Manual:
http://catvet.homestead.com/ReproCD.html