Lynne (12023-07-02):
> git master is not a playground, but it is certainly a place for developers
> to experiment with ideas they're *seriously* exploring.
>
> Sonic and Snow were experiments. They didn't work out, but nevertheless,
> they made their mark on the status quo of compression research at the time.
>
> FFV1 was an experiment. It worked out, being an IETF standard.
> The native mpeg encoders were experiments. They worked out, and their
> rate control system largely inspired x264's rate control systems.
> The DNN filtering stuff was an experiment. It didn't work out.The native Opus
> encoder was an experiment, and it holds up well against
> libopus, if a bit slow and misguided.
> The AAC encoder was always an experiment. Did it work out? Let's
> find out after the third rewrite :)

Thanks for the history. This is what I called a playground for hackers;
a rose by any other name.

> As for libavsdr? Time will tell. But it's certainly got a niche to fill,
> as currently, you have to setup large and complex gnuradio filterchains.
> But, I would prefer for it to be in a separate repository.

I have a hard time understanding this preference, for both avradio and
avstream.

Moving to a separate repository requires you to maintain a separate
build system, separate tests, etc. It also means only enthusiast users
will download and install the library, thus greatly reducing both its
usefulness and its changes of getting off the ground.

It seems to me like a lose-lose situation. I can understand why people
only interested in their short-term revenue stream would object, but
people who work on them I do not understand. Can you explain?

  Nicolas George