On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 03:46:29PM +0000, Cosmin Stejerean wrote:

> > On Aug 2, 2023, at 7:30 AM, Nicolas George <geo...@nsup.org> wrote:
> >
> > Michael Niedermayer (12023-08-02):
> >> The libraries should be split into runtime loadable plugins
> >> Not only would that make tools alot smaller it also would allow
> >> development of code available in ffmpeg that is maintained outside
> >> FFmpeg.
> >>
> >> I suggested this previosuly, it is of course not a "simple" thing
> >> to do.
> >
> > No, it would be a terrible mistake.
> >
> > And mostly, people who suggest or demand that do it based on
> > misconceptions about how linking works and/or have no actual scenario
> > where that would help.
> >
> > But this is another discussion entirely.
>
> This indeed feels like a separate discussion, but should we want to have that
> discussion I'd be happy to both provide some use cases as well as contribute
> code to facilitate the implementation.
>

> My understanding however is that the community is opposed to dynamically
> loaded plugins on principle, because it would make it easier to distribute
> proprietary plugins and sidestep the intent of the copyleft licensing.

I dont know if there is opposition or just inertia and more sexy things to work
on
but if theres fear of proprietary plugins just do this:

1. give the plugin a license field
2. check that the license field matches a GPL compatible license before loading

thx

[...]

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch