On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 9:50 AM Michael Niedermayer <mich...@niedermayer.cc>
wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Before this is forgotten again, better start some dicsussion too early
> than too late
>
> I propose that if we have the oppertunity again next year to receive a
> grant
> from STF. That we use it to fund:
>
> * Paul to work on FFmpeg full time. My idea here is that he can work on
> whatever
>   he likes in FFmpeg (so its not full time employment for specific work but
>   simply full time employment for him to work on whatever he likes in
> FFmpeg any
>   way he likes) Paul is the 2nd largest contributor to FFmpeg (git
> shortlog -s -n)

why? nothing against Paul, but this seems pretty arbitrary, and many people
would like to be paid to do whatever they want
if we start sponsoring people there should be clear statements of work,
goals, and everything in between

* Fund administrative / maintainance work (one example is the mailman
> upgrade that is needed
>   with the next OS upgrade on one of our servers (this is not as trivial
> as one might
>   expect). Another example here may be some git related tools if we find
> something that
>   theres a broad consensus about.
>
> * Fund maintaince on the bug tracker, try to reproduce bugs, ask users to
> provide
>   reproduceable cases, close bugs still unreproduceable, ...
>   ATM we have over 2000 "new" bugs that are not even marked as open

I see no mention of github/gitlab work, despite being highly requested on
the list.
Is it because we assume it'll be done already by next year? :)

>   something like a video chat. Also we need more cute girls on these
> events, everything i hear
>   its 100% male geeks/hackers. Also a "24/7" realtime stream from any
> booth would be nice

I understand the idea comes from a good place, but the way it is phrased is
very sketchy.
--
Vittorio