On Tue, 21 May 2024, Rémi Denis-Courmont wrote:

Hi,

Le 20 mai 2024 03:42:03 GMT+03:00, Stone Chen <chen.stonec...@gmail.com> a
écrit :
Adds checkasm for DMVR SAD AVX2 implementation.

Benchmarks ( AMD 7940HS )
vvc_sad_8x8_c: 70.0
vvc_sad_8x8_avx2: 10.0
vvc_sad_16x16_c: 280.0
vvc_sad_16x16_avx2: 20.0
vvc_sad_32x32_c: 1020.0
vvc_sad_32x32_avx2: 70.0
vvc_sad_64x64_c: 3560.0
vvc_sad_64x64_avx2: 270.0
vvc_sad_128x128_c: 13760.0
vvc_sad_128x128_avx2: 1070.0
---
1 file changed, 38 insertions(+)

VVC benchmarks have increased checksam runtime by at least an order of magnitude. It's become so prohibitively slow that I could not even get to the end.

This is not an acceptable situation and impedes non-VVC assembler work

I don't quite understand; whenever benchmarking anything in checkasm, I would always run e.g. "checkasm --test=ac3dsp --bench=ac3_sum_square_bufferfly_float", limiting the total running of tests to a specific module, and only benchmarking a subset of the run functions. (The --bench parameter specifies a prefix; only functions matching that prefix gets benchmarked.)

Without limiting the scope with a --test parameter, checkasm benchmarking has always been prohibitively slow for me - so I don't think there's anything new here? If you were lucky enough to be able to do a full run of checkasm with benchmarks of all functions before, that sounds like an exception to me, not a reason to limit adding new tests?

That said I'm not familiar with the VVC tests in checkasm, perhaps they benchmark things excessively. But I don't see how that would impede work on other DSP functions in any way?

// Martin