On 02/10/2016 13:52, Nicolas George wrote:
Le primidi 11 vendémiaire, an CCXXV, Josh de Kock a écrit :
Using max-width: 960px is common practice,

Yet still bad practice.

Not really.

                                             and since pixels are generally
not 1:1 but scaled with regards to DPI, rather than text-size it results in
a more constant layout across environments.

Indeed: most web designers are idiots, they used pixels all over the place,

Using such a sweeping negative statement is not a good way to proceed.

forcing browsers authors to step in and work around their bad design.As a
consequence, the few web designers who are not idiots and have a good reason
to use pixels at some place have a hard time.
And it does not address the problem of user-mandated font sizes.

CSS did include from the start a mechanism to make design independent from
the resolution and font size: expressing length in ems. It still works,
still better than the workaround.

The containers should not change size depending on the font size. It results in really ugly, fairly undefined behavior. I made an example to illustrate this: https://codepen.io/anon/pen/ozGqEj

Since you are not an idiot, you will use it.

I don't appreciate what this implies. May I direct you to:
https://www.ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Code-of-conduct

--
Josh