On 01/22/2017 07:05 AM, Timo Rothenpieler wrote:
Despite wm4 objections I am resubmitting this patch, because I can
find no other reasonable method for rejecting ffmpeg cuvid decoder
when it can't handle a given video stream.  An unreasonable
alternative would be to duplicate the work that cuvid.c does
internally on my application side, and that would be of little benefit
to me and to ffmpeg -- I might as well use the nvenc APIs directly
then.  I still see this patch as an improvement.
Cuvid should still return an error, just not on init, while some stream
parameters are still unknown, but when decoding the first (couple) frame(s).
If there is a case where it doesn't, I'd much rather fix that.

It didn't return an error. I was testing with 5K and 8K h264 samples mentioned at http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples on a GeForce GT 730 which only supports 4K 8-bit h264 -- ctx->cvdl->cuvidParseVideoData never returned an error, and cuvid_handle_video_sequence callback was never called. The only indication I ever got from cuvid that it won't work was during ctx->cvdl->cuvidCreateDecoder call (after my patch).

Pavel.