On 09/20/2017 08:31 PM, wm4 wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 19:01:52 -0700
Jorge Ramirez-Ortiz <jorge.ramirez-or...@linaro.org> wrote:

Btw. I noticed that this apparently never sets chroma_location?
I didnt find anything in v4l2 to retrieve the chroma_location from the kernel
driver (the API doesnt handle this information).
does ffmpeg need this field and if so, can it be retrieved from somewhere else
(bitstream perhaps)?
Yes, chroma location matters. Some users notice if the location is
incorrect. It can be retrieved from the bitstream, but that would
require you to parse it. Which probably would require additional code.
(You can't rely on the pre-filled parameters by libavformat, because an
API user doesn't have to use libavformat.)

ok.

I suggest you make the kernel devs add this parameter. There might be
more such missing parameters, I noticed this one only by chance.

I see. I'll find out what is the process to modify the API and why the current drivers don't use it. Notice that -even if the API change is accepted in the coming months - all the drivers currently available in the field wont be using it in the near future though (they will be returning a default, null I guess).

I just dont have any control on the drivers or the API itself: do you think this will be blocking the upstream process?