On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 03:26:34PM -0300, James Almer wrote:

> >> It's four months old, and rolling release distros are using it and will
> >> move on to 2.6 soon.
> >>
> >> By the time non rolling release distros switch to ffmpeg > 3.4, they
> >> will also switch to whatever is newest for x265 at the time.
> >
> > I was mostly thinking about users who build FFmpeg by themselves
> > on current distributions. (And about developers who like to test on
> > vanilla systems.)
>
> Those on rolling release ditros are covered, and those compiling ffmpeg
> git head on non rolling release distros are most likely also compiling
> any required libraries for it.
> Hell, 2.5 is even in Debian testing right now.
>

> I very much rather avoid ifdeffery to support old releases from projects
> with a rapid update schedule like x265.

I understand why you prefer this but i think its nicer to our users
also the stricter version  deps are the more one runs into issues

for example the "recent" libvpx min version bump required me to
update my libvpx and it promptly broke many older FFmpeg versions
ive patched my release branches locally and that would be in the next
point releases of course but versions released previously require
a libvpx that master doesnt build with and what master builds with
they dont.

If we accumulate too many of these things bisect will become
increasingly painfull

short version, my "vote" is for keeping support for the older version
by #if or any other solution

[...]

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin