> On Dec 10, 2017, at 05:07, Nicolas George <geo...@nsup.org> wrote:
>
> Rodger Combs (2017-12-07):
>> ---
>> libavformat/avformat.h      |  1 +
>> libavformat/internal.h      |  5 +++++
>> libavformat/options_table.h |  1 +
>> libavformat/utils.c         | 12 ++++++++++++
>> 4 files changed, 19 insertions(+)
>
> Can you give an example of scenario where this option would be useful?
> I mean with some level of details about the problem and the solution.

The goal is to use this in conjunction with the previous patches in the set to
deal with live broadcast streams coming off a tuner. The first patch sets the
CORRUPT flag when the TEI bit is set in a TS packet (indicating that the tuner
detected uncorrectable errors), the second clears the PTS and DTS in response
to that flag (since a bit flip that causes a too-high timestamp can throw off
the whole stream, since ffmpeg.c enforces monotonicity), and the third
re-generates DTSs by interpolating from the previous packet's receipt time.

> Also, the timestamp would need to be filtered for scheduling
> fluctuations.

In my target use-case, being slightly off due to scheduling fluctuations isn't
particularly problematic, since this is expected to only occur in the case of
corruption anyway, so the whole thing is best-effort.