> FFmpeg’s build system is unique because despite its lack
> of caching, one must sometimes make clean and
> reconfigure everything when bisecting for bugs.

Yes, this is unavoidable (make cannot know about new
features without running configure).

> Maybe depfile generation is buggy or someting.

This is at least not a known issue (but see above).

> In any case, it’s super annoying.

How often do you bisect FFmpeg?
I did it (at least) several hundred times over the last years,
and it very rarely was a problem (if there was an issue,
then because of the nature of the bug, see #3440 or #7058).

> Then there’s the slowness

That we should work on.

> and make’s suboptimal job distribution on multi-core
> systems

How can I reproduce this? As said, building FFmpeg on
a multi-core system (with very slow cores) is extremely
fast.

Carl Eugen