On 29-08-2018 02:43 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 08:31:51AM +0200, Marton Balint wrote:

Instead of this, maybe we should add support to write lock the files when
opening them for reading. Then ffmpeg can request this. That would be an
useful option, and not just for unexperienced users.

depending on how this is done, it could interfere with reading a file while
it is being written/appeneded to by another process

Yes, a user may use a growing MPEG-TS file as input.

Also, is there a universal & portable way to secure a write lock across all platforms?

I think a 'soft' solution is preferable.

Gyan