On 6/25/19 2:12 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 09:18:13PM +0530, Shivam wrote:
Hi!

     The code is to add DICOM Support. The patch is only for uncompressed
dicom files using explicit value representation. I would extend it, once i
clarify some doubts.     As dicom image files contain lots of metadata about
the patient. So, should i display that data while demuxing or should i
ignore and only demux the image data ?. In the current patch, i have made an
option "-metadata", which when used will print the data on the terminal
while demuxing.
metadata should be exported to be usable by applications.

For teh API design a one test is that it should be possible to have a
dicom file as input and a format with similar features as output and not
loose any significant data.
Printing to the terminal cannot achieve that easily.

So, should i export it to a csv file ?

Either way i would suggest to support only a subset of these 4000 elements
for now but try to ensure that the deisgn can handle most of the important
elements

Okay , for now i would add only important tags (including all the image and pixel data group tags and some about the patient info) to the dictionary. and the demuxer would skip unknown tags.

Also, in the dicomdict.c ( which is only required for implicit dicom files,
and for metadata), till now i have only specified ~200 data elements. but
the dicom specification, specifies a total of ~4000 data elements (would do
binary search if all the tags are needed ). So, is there a better way to
specifiy that data?. (I mean if we ignore the metadata about the patient,
then we only need to specify ~150 data elements for image data).

I have uploaded some samples of dicom files with explicit value
representation here (in case needed).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1V8HUNeX3EYiPLj_dcFt8C68tAh7C7v4X?usp=sharing

Please comment,

Thank you,