#10586: Impossible to retrieve libvmaf result from AVFrame at the output of
filter
graph
             Reporter:  ichlubna     |                    Owner:  (none)
                 Type:  defect       |                   Status:  new
             Blocking:               |  Reproduced by developer:  0
Analyzed by developer:  0            |
Description changed by ichlubna:

Old description:

> [...]
> at the end of the filter graph. The same approach which works for psnr
> and ssim filters is not working.
>
> When I use [https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#psnr psnr] or
> [https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#psnr ssim] filter I can list the
> result from the [https://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/4.1/structAVFrame.html frame]
> read from the sink buffer of the filter graph which is stored in the
> metadata [https://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/4.1/structAVDictionary.html
> dictionary] as:
> {{{
> char *entries = nullptr;
> av_dict_get_string(resultFrame->metadata, &entries, ',', '|');
> std::cout << entries;
> }}}
>
> I use this filter:
> {{{
> const AVFilter *vmafFilter  = avfilter_get_by_name("libvmaf");
> }}}
>
> The same cannot be used for [https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-
> filters.html#libvmaf libvmaf]. The metadata dictionary is empty. I
> searched the whole frame structure and couldn't find the result anywhere.
> Shouldn't this be unified?
>
> I don't see the storing of the result in the frame anywhere in the
> [https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/13a3e2a9b4697a1403d3e58eb5e8ef9c72561d54/libavfilter/vf_libvmaf.c
> source code]. Storing to the frame is visible in the
> [https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/13a3e2a9b4697a1403d3e58eb5e8ef9c72561d54/libavfilter/vf_psnr.c#L223
> code of psnr] and
> [https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/13a3e2a9b4697a1403d3e58eb5e8ef9c72561d54/libavfilter/vf_ssim.c#L388
> code of ssim]. I think that the storing of the vmaf score is just missing
> in the code.
>
> The only workaround is to call the
> [https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/9e531370b3da27aa72703b9bb40cdd697e88607e/libavfilter/vf_libvmaf.c#L654
> uninit] function of the vmaf filter which triggers the log message with
> vmaf score (having set the log level to AV_LOG_INFO) but this is not
> usable for per-frame vmaf result which would be similar to psnr and ssim.
> It would require a new construction of the filters in the graph after
> processing each frame.
>
> I think that something like this this is missing in the
> [https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/9e531370b3da27aa72703b9bb40cdd697e88607e/libavfilter/vf_libvmaf.c#L142
> do_vmaf] function:
>
> {{{
> double vmaf_score;
> vmaf_score_pooled(s->vmaf, s->model[0], pool_method_map(s->pool),
> &vmaf_score, 0, s->frame_cnt - 1);
> set_meta(&dist->metadata, "lavfi.vmaf", 0, vmaf_score);
> }}}
>
> I have tried doing so but got this error with increasing index for each
> frame:
>
> {{{
> libvmaf ERROR vmaf_predict_score_at_index(): no feature '��%�}U' at index

New description:

[...]

 But seems like this is working fine and does the expected! Polled would
 probably return the computed merged score while this at_index function
 returns score for each frame individually. Also need to go one index down
 to get a good result as the counter is not incremented yet:

 {{{
 vmaf_score_at_index(s->vmaf, s->model[0], &vmaf_score, s->frame_cnt - 2);
 }}}

Ticket URL: <https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/10586#comment:6>
FFmpeg <https://ffmpeg.org>
FFmpeg issue tracker