On 19-03-15 13:47, Christoph Gerstbauer wrote:
Hello,

I am testing the transcoding of different DPX files from different sources.

I have here 2 files which cannot be opened by ffmpeg.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26129407/ProblematicDPX_1.zip

When I open the files with ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick they look distorted (can be seen in the png from the zip file). Opening the files with Photoshop they look also very weird but different to GM and IM. (see PNGs in zip)

Any ideas whats going on here?

Best Regards
Christoph

COMMAND LINE OUTPUT:

C:\Users\gersti>ffmpegnew -i "I:\DPX\_DPX examples\Bojan\0090000.dpx"

[dpx @ 0000000002cf7c40] Packing 2 is not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from Git. If the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has not been impl

Hi Christoph,

after a little search these are my findings

ffmpeg throws a packing error at you" "Packing 2 is not implemented"
According to the DPX v2 specs packing 2 is 8 bit values:

The origin of your DPXs as stated in the header is a Scanity, which can
do 8 bits scans. This might be the origin of the issue.
http://www.dft-film.com/downloads/datasheets/Scanity-HDR.pdf

8 Bit data values are not supported in ffmpeg (and not very well supported
in any program as far as I know):
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavcodec/dpx.c
lines 141-144

Here's a bit more info about 8 bit image data issues in the DPX specs:
http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/dpx/dpx-issues.pdf

I see a black and white image in Nuke which sort of confirms the storage
of RGB channels in one value.

The skew in the image is probably caused by a mismatch in image width
and pixel aspect ration (which says it's 2048x2048)

gr
Arno