On 12/10/16 08:31, Thomas Worth wrote:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Sven C. Dack <sven.c.d...@sky.com> wrote:

On 11/10/16 08:31, Alexey Eromenko wrote:

I have a strong belief, that produced MP4 files should be played on
all popular players, and any potential issues must be documented.

Additionally ffmpeg should provide a BIG WARNING that a resulting file
will not be playable on Apple decoders, and offer to fix it

No. This isn't about what you belief. Before you can expect ffmpeg or all
popular players to play your files do you have to provide the correct input
files and options to ffmpeg. That's a fact and it's how ffmpeg works. Once
you get this right will ffmpeg be your best friend and will produce the
files you need, but not before then.

Has anyone actually looked at the MP4 file, BrokenVideo-8min.mp4? It was
written with a video track timescale of 0, a track duration of 0 and due to
that, outrageous packet durations. Regardless of the quality of input
(which I'm sure was bad), the muxer should still be able to detect that
something is obviously wrong. In this case, the muxer should probably just
fail with an error. No reasonable person should expect MP4s written this
way to work correctly. Based on the fact that ffmpeg is writing timescale 0
and duration 0, I'd say this should probably be considered a bug. But
that's just my opinion.

Let's not make ffmpeg more pedantic.

It has so far been always up to the users to decide what output they need and otherwise for ffmpeg to default to producing the best it has to offer. Most users then don't have a problem with this and are happy to accept it when the best isn't what they need but to use the options to produce a video more suitable for them.

Let's also not forget that the problem is with an Apple player. Those get replaced each year by a next generation. Does ffmpeg really need to default to producing videos for a piece of hardware which at the day it lands on the shelf is already considered outdated by its maker?