> "ffmpeg -loglevel verbose" at least shows you which segments are opened.

Well what do know, I should have tried that. Very useful on m3u8s.

> Why do you need a release, anyway? Do you rely on getting your ffmpeg
> from a distribution?

For development it doesn't really matter. For our production server we tend
to like tagged releases, not HEAD or a changeset somewhere in a branch.
This being said, since master is ok, I think I'll switch to master/HEAD
instead of going to 2.8.8 until 3.2 is released

(BTW, great instructions to reproduce, without any external
> dependencies or input files. Thanks for that!)

My pleasure. And thank you for the complete answer, it makes tons of sense.

Louis