Thank you for the very fast response, it's appreciated.

On 2016-12-01 16:23, Lou wrote:
On Thu, Dec 1, 2016, at 03:00 PM, MRob wrote:
I'm exporting a video from an older Adobe Elements (Windows) with
intention to put it on the web (both H.264 and VP8). I exported using
Adobe's "DV AVI" which appears to be the most unmolested output format

DV is not a good choice: it's lossy and will mess up your width, height,
aspect ratio, etc. Install UT video. UT video is a free and open
compressed lossless format that works well as an intermediate format:

http://umezawa.dyndns.info/archive/utvideo/?C=M;O=D

Then restart Elements and export using that. Make sure Elements doesn't
change the width, height, frame rate, etc (I recall Adobe Media Encoder
doing that often). Finally, re-enode the intermediate file with ffmpeg.

Oh, thank you for that information. Unfortunately, it looks like I'm working with Premier Elements, and after installing UT video, I don't see any facilities to export using it. Is this a limitation of Premier? Or am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks for the off-topic help with that.

[...]
But from reading that mailing list post and the error message text, it
sounds like adding "-pix_fmt yuv420p" affects the output. I do not need
to retain compatibility with terribly old devices (though I am using
baseline level 3.0), so I wanted to ask if there is a better way to
handle conversion in this case.

You'll need yuv420p. Most non-FFmpeg based players and various devices
don't support anything else.

I see, so the reason I hadn't seen that before was because any other videos I'd encoded likely had the yuv420p pixel format in the video stream already?