On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, Katherine Frances wrote:

Hi Martin,

Oh! Thanks for letting me know. I just assumed the conflation of the two
things here.

But then, how are my output videos becoming deinterlaced?

Probably they are not.

Inputs are uncompressed v210 in MOV. They're definitely interlaced, as
they're digitized from an analogue source (using an AJA ADC) with all
correct setup.
And outputs are definitely progressive, at least according to MediaInfo.

Mediainfo only shows the metadata, in reality the content is most probably interlaced.

I'm just using a basic script, for example:

ffmpeg -i uncompressed_master.mov -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:a
libfdk_aac -b:a 128k access_copy.mp4

So how are my MP4s becoming deinterlaced? Is it a result of declaring MP4
as the output container? I thought that MP4s could contain interlaced
content - am I wrong about that?

AFAIK ffmpeg does not do automatic deinterlacing based on container features, so even if MP4 were progressive-only (it is not), ffmpeg still would not do automatic deinterlacing.

The fact that the interlaced metadata is not reflected in the output can be caused by a number of reasons, either the source file is missing the interlaced/progressive metadata as well, or ffmpeg simply does not support propagating it to mp4.

In any case, if you want to deinterlace, use a filter, like yadif.

Regards,
Marton