The option "-start_number_range" is only used when searching for the first image of a sequence. I propose to add a new option "-number_range" that specifies the number of trials if the next image in a sequence isn't found. For example, when making a timelapse from hundreds of images, it may be necessary to exclude a few images from the sequence. But we can't simply delete these images, because ffmpeg will stop if the next image isn't found. Possible workarounds are duplicating one of the neighbor images, or renaming all subsequent images. With the proposed option ffmpeg would just skip the missing images.

Thanks,
Michael