On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 17:25:56 -0500, Bryan Duff wrote:
> OK, and the reason I'm using 2.8 is because that's as high as the el7
> rpmfusion repo goes to.

Okay, if it was the libraries you needed, because you had an old
program which has never been adapted to ffmpeg's new APIs/ABIs, that
would have been a valid reason. But for the command line tools, I see
no reason not to grab hold of a considerably newer version.

If you want to stick to repos: In the case of EL7, I know that you can
find much newer versions of the multimedia programs including ffmpeg
(4.0) in the Negativo17 multimedia repo:

https://negativo17.org/multimedia/

$ yum-config-manager
--add-repo=https://negativo17.org/repos/epel-multimedia.repo

Note that it may or may not clash with rpmfusion, depending on what you
really need. They work fine for me in parallel on Fedora 27. (There was
a conflict for a while, as smplayer from rpmfusion needed different
libs than negativo17 provided.) YMMV.

Moritz