On 2018-06-11 at 5:32 PM EDT, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

My purpose is to calculate some metrics such as: fps, miss rate, etc, of
video decoding. So I need only to decode a video without displaying it.

Sorry for missing this:
In this case, ffplay is the wrong tool for you, ffmpeg -i input -an -f null -
may be a better idea.

Okay, I am going to ask the questions that have been on my mind for this entire thread:

1. What is the goal of the original email? Frames per second is available from ffprobe, right? Does "miss rate" refer to cache misses while operating on the compressed video data? Won't the number of cache misses depend on many factors, possibly including whether the computer hardware is also busy rendering and displaying a video on the screen, such that disabling all video display actually will change the "miss rate"? This does not seem like a characteristic of the video file itself, it seems like a statistic that is only available during a specific instance of playing the video with specific software and hardware. Or maybe I am misunderstanding. The number of cache misses may in practice be exactly the same every time you play a given video on certain hardware, but the original email says the test is being run remotely on a computer that cannot display video, so any actual playback will occur on a different computer that will have different performance, unless I am misunderstanding.

2. What does ffmpeg with -f null really do, and how is it different than ffprobe?

Thank you,

Zak