Might it be part of the problem that I'm starting ffmpeg from a batch file?
This is the content of the batch file:

c://ffmpeg/ffmpeg -i 699.mp4 -f nut - ^| c://ffmpeg/ffplay -
pause

I just found out that when using this command in a batch file, it doesn't matter if the slashes are forward or backward. But when the command is typed into the console window (without the ^ character), then it works only if backslashes are used. And then piping from ffmpeg to ffplay works fine!
Why doesn't the same command line work in a batch file? What must I change?

Michael