> Which codec gives the lowest size?
>
> Let me ask in a different way, how can I encode a video to the smallest
> possible size, while still discerning some movement?

Now we’re getting somewhere. x264/x265 are like the de facto gold standards for
the software encoders for the ITU/ISO/IEC codecs, h.265 is more efficient wrt
file size, and vpx is comparable if you need/prefer OAM family.

It still sounds like all you want to do is compress the video until it is
fubar, is there a maximum limit on the size that you need it to be? Because
then multi-pass encoding could be an option.