On 12/16/2019 05:46 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
Am Mo., 16. Dez. 2019 um 09:03 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
I knew that ffmpeg encoders output solely frames, but I assumed that,

I may misunderstand but this is at least misleading, could be considered
wrong.

when an interlaced container was encountered, ffmpeg decoders (hence
HandBrake) worked with fields.

The FFmpeg infrastructure cannot work with fields which is the reason that
interlaced encodings of hevc and jpeg2000 are not supported correctly.

If I correctly interpret what you write regarding "misleading", what about this?

Source -> Decode (rawvideo) -> process pictures (or "frames" if you prefer) -> Encode -> Target file.

HandBrake doesn't have any way to package Targets as interlaced fields and I was led to believe that it was because ffmpeg always outputs frames. Is that not correct?