Upon rereading this thread, I see an error early on. I correct it, below.

On 04/19/2020 02:56 AM, pdr0 wrote:
Mark Filipak wrote

I would love to use motion compensation but I can't, at least not with
ffmpeg. Now, if there was
such a thing as smart telecine...

A A A+B B B -- input
A A     B B -- pass 4 frames directly to output
    A A+B B   -- pass 3 frames to filter
       X      -- motion compensated filter to output

Unfortunately, ffmpeg can't do that because ffmpeg does not recurse the
filter complex. That is,
ffmpeg can pass the 2nd & 4th frames to the output, or to the filter, but
not both.

What kind of motion compensation did you have in mind?

Hahahaha... ANY motion compensation. ...Is there more than one?

"recurse" works if your timestamps are correct.

Carl Eugen said that, too. How could the timestamps be wrong? I was using the test video ("MOVE" "TEXT") that you gave me. I proved that, for that video (which I assumed was perfect), ffmpeg recursion of the filter complex does not occur.

Correction: "recursion" was "traversal" in the original posting. Sorry.

...Let's see. I think that's only a dozen or so mistakes I've made in the last
24 hours... not too bad.