> On 18 Nov 2020, at 23:29, Chris Angelico <ros...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Appreciate the help. Still not sure how all the different filters behave.

No worries,
I have not read any of the code so I do not really know what manipulations are
occurring under the hood.

As far as I can tell, the channel split is pulling the individual channels from
the source audio stream and the amerge is combining them into a new stereo
stream basically unchanged other than any codec transformations.

Using the pan filter would allow you to manipulate the actual audio content as
it allows for each channel pan level and attenuation; this could affect audio
quality perhaps.

As I say, this is not based on reading one reading any code so I may be wrong.
I will be interested to know your results.

Thanks
Adam